Trinity Sculpture

The Trinity Sculpture (Assumption of the Virgin Mary) on the Náměstí Míru square dates back to 1764 – 1766 and was built by Matouš Strahovský, a sculptor from Dačice. The twenty-meter tall pillar is a typical Baroque product, one of the many so-called Marian Pillars (plague pillars), built with the support of the Catholic Church on town squares. The bottom part of the sculpture is formed by a triangular pillar with niches for the statues of St. Rosalie, St. Anne and St. Joseph holding baby Jesus. St. Prokopius, St. George and St. Adalbert are on scroll corbels. St. Expeditus, St. Hippolytus and St. Francis Xavier are above them and St. Wenceslaus, St. Florian and St. John of Nepomuk are even higher up. The collection of saints is completed by the archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, the chapiter carries the figures of God the Father and God the Son, who is holding a crown above the Virgin Mary. The Holy Spirit is drifting in the halo.