Town Ramparts

Apart from the fortifications that protected the castle, the inner town also had its ramparts, constructed gradually from the 13th century. Part of them above the Vajgar, under the west row of houses on the square Náměstí Míru, has been preserved till today. The fortifications extended from the Minorite Monastery (next to the Church of St. John the Baptist), where the remains of the ramparts’ external and internal walls have been preserved, upwards to Střelnice (the Firing Range). The Prague Gate used to stand there and from this gate the ramparts with a moat continued through today’s orchard, Husovy sady, to the place where now stands a villa. The ramparts are still remembered there in the name of the street, Na Hradbách (On Ramparts).

A rebuilt semi-circular tower has been preserved from the original ramparts opposite the pool in the park. Remains of the town’s ramparts can also be seen on the way along Nežárka to Nežárecká Gate and on the rear facade of the former Jesuit College. An original prismatic tower, which is part of the town’s ramparts, can be seen from the bridge between Small and Large Vajgar; it has been preserved in the Renaissance and Baroque styles, the bottom part is Gothic. The town’s ramparts used to have three gates; only Nežárecká Gate below the museum has been preserved. Rybniční Street, leading from the Náměstí Míru square to Vajgar, used to end in Rybnická Gate with crests and a suspension bridge; Panská Street ended in Prague (New Town) Gate near today’s Střelnice (the Firing Range). These gates were demolished in the 1820’s when the town was getting rid of its medieval fortifications and expanding outside the town’s ramparts.