If we walk from Masaryko square west through the town orchard, across the bridge to Nežárka and then up the hillock, we come to the Church of St. Jacob. An observation fortress probably used to stand here, later a small church with a tower was located here. The church was first mentioned in 1518, when 11 Stations of the Cross were established near the church. These were expanded to a total of 14 Stations in the last century. A tale is told that a secret passage leads to the church from the palace and according to a legend a treasure is hidden in these passageways. In 1605, Marie Maxmiliána Hohenzollern, the wife of Jáchym Oldřich of Hradec, ordered the reconstruction of the small church. In 1793, it was closed down and in the 1840’s it served as a powder mill. In 1856, it was demolished and a neo-Gothic church was built in its place by J. Kocáb (sanctified in 1860). A cellar was constructed under the church, which served as a crypt for the Černín family. Evžen Černín (1796-1868), who sponsored the construction of the neo-Gothic church, had the bodies of his parents and his two little sisters transported here from Vienna; he himself was buried here and so were his descendants. The last Černín, JUDr. R. Černín, was buried here in 1932.
The nave is entered from the front via a small hall below the tower. In the tympanum above the entrance, there is a relief of the Crucified Christ with the Virgin Mary and St. John by F. Maliovský. The entrance to the crypt is located below the church’s north wall. The surrounding park was designed by verderer Wachtel in 1854 – 1856.